The term Bulimia nervosa represents eating disorder. It is a condition in a person binges and purges and may consume a lot of food during one time and then try to get rid ofthe food by using laxatives, vomiting or sometimes by means of over exercising. People with this disorder have an extreme fear of gaining weight and have a distorted view of their body size and shape. Due to this, they can’t maintain a stable body weight. They hardly eat and the small amount of food that they eat becomes an obsession.
Health tips- Signs & Symptoms of Bulimia Nervosa
Ø Binge eating of foods rich in carbohydrates
Ø Unstable Body weight
Ø Loss of control over eating
Ø Constipation, nausea, diarrhea, abdominal pain, gas
Ø Irregular menstruation
Ø Going to bathroom during meals
Ø Sore throat , Bad breath
People who may develop this disorder are as follows:
· People with a lower self-esteem
· Middle-class women mainly college students and teenagers
· People having a family history of substance abuse and mood disorders
Treatment for this disorder
The most appropriate treatment for Bulimia Nervosa would be a combination of psychotherapy, medication and family therapy. The person with this disorder has to be actively involved in their treatment in order to be more successful in the treatment.
Nutritional tips that may help to reduce the symptoms:
· Drinking 1.5- 2.5 liters of filtered water every day.
· Avoid alcohol, caffeine and tobacco.
· Use protein rich sources like organic meat, eggs and vegetable protein shakes.
This aims at increasing muscle mass and preventing wastage.